Disclosure: The practice described below is NOT an authentic method taken from any ancient teachings. This exercise came to me intuitively and after an extensive period of practice, I noticed the effective results.
For this exercise, you will need a singing bowl that has at least two noticeable overtones (in addition to the fundamental tone) and a mallet with a medium firmness to strike the bowl (choose the mallet that will bring the lowest tone of the bowl along with at least two higher-pitched tones).
- Bring the rim of the instrument to the level of your forehead approximately three to four inches away from your forehead. You can hold the bowl on your fingertips or on an open palm. Also, you could sit in front of the bowl that is rested on a surface aligned with your forehead.
- Strike the bowl and listen to the polyphonic accord of all sounding tones simultaneously.
- Highlight one tone. It could be any tone you want. Now become fully aware of this tone, isolate it from other sounds. Focus on the tone you choose until it dissipates.
- Repeat the exercise as many times as you want. After practicing this routine, choose another tone from the same bowl. Repeat the second routine also as many times as you wish.
- Finally, practice the same exercise with the third tone.
- Please note: the more sustained is the sound, the better chance you will have to concentrate without redirecting your focus on striking the bowl.
- The bowl could have more than two overtones. After you get familiar with this exercise, you may want to expand your practice by choosing additional tones of your instrument.
After practicing this technique for a few days, expand your focus by holding in your attention all sounding tones simultaneously.
This exercise helped me to enhance attention, and also to separate the energies within myself and to be able to choose which are suiting me the best. This exercise helped me to understand the meaning of the words "Happiness is a choice".
We are vessels that transfer all kinds of energy through ourselves every day. Like singing bowls have many distinguished sound partials, our lives have a lot of different aspects. The ability to focus on each of these aspects with your heart and your mind without distortion and full familiarity with the whole sound of your life is the way to wholeness!